In an effort to speed up the CKEditor localization process and make it easier and more intuitive for our translators to create and maintain different localizations we have decided to set up the CKEditor UI Translation Center on Transifex. Transifex is an online platform that allows projects to make use of community-based translations, providing suitable resource management tools as well as a user-friendly browser-based interface.
No matter if you are a first-time Transifex user or a seasoned translator, a fresh CKEditor fan or a long time user, feel free to join us, contribute to existing translations or create new ones in an effort to make it easier for people from around the world to use their favorite editor in their native language!
- Transifex website: https://www.transifex.com/
- Transifex documentation: http://help.transifex.com
- CKEditor official website for an overview of the editor features: http://ckeditor.com
- CKEditor demo, to see the real context where the language strings are used: http://ckeditor.com/demo
CKEditor Localization Project Structure
The CKEditor UI Translation Center on Transifex currently includes the following translatable resources:
core– the language strings of the main CKEditor application;
plugin-a11yhelp– the language strings of the CKEditor Accessibility Help;
plugin-devtools– the language strings of the optional Developer Tools plugin;
plugin-placeholder– the language strings of the optional Placeholder plugin;
plugin-specialchar– the language strings of the Special Characters plugin;
plugin-uicolor– the language strings of the UI Color plugin.
CKEditor Localization Team Structure
You will find the following roles among the contributors of the CKEditor localization project on Transifex:
- Project maintainers – CKSource staff that manage the project and have full administration permissions.
- Teams – groups of people that take care of specific localizations, like the Hebrew team, the German team, the Spanish team and so on. Each team consists of one or more persons that perform either of the following roles:
- Team coordinator – usually the creator of the team or a more advanced translator; a user who can manage the team and review submitted translations.
- Team member – a translator of CKEditor into a given language.
CKEditor Localization Documentation
The localization process of CKEditor is described in a few sections of the documentation page, namely:
- Localization Teams – joining a localization team, requesting a new one.
- Translating CKEditor – localizing CKEditor by using the online and offline translation workflow.
- Localization Tips – some useful advice on using Transifex to translate CKEditor.
- Localization Troubleshooting – some issues that you may encounter while translating CKEditor.
- Technical Details – additional, more advanced information about the UI Translation Center.