Below are some tips that can speed up the translation process and make our workflow more understandable.
- When translating, concentrate on incomple resources first and only after they are done, attempt to correct the extisting entries.
- When using the online Transifex editor, see the list of available keyboard shortcuts that can make a translator's life much easier. The shortcuts list are also available in the editor when you click the (keyboard) icon near the progress bar at the top of the editor.
- In translation the context is everything. The source language string might sometimes be ambiguous, so in the online editor you can open the Details tab for each source string and check its context that is described in the Developer comment field. Please use this feature often to avoid misunderstandings!
- If you are not a long-time CKEditor user or developer, we recommend you get acquainted with the editor demo or even download and install CKEditor on your local computer. This will make it easier for you to understand the look and feel of the application as well as its structure and building blocks.
- Transifex includes a very useful feature called "suggestions". You can use it to propose a better version of an existing translation and let the team coordinator or fellow team members decide which version should be used. Additionally, when you are unsure as to how to translate a term, you can propose several versions as suggestions and let other users vote on them. You will find the Suggestions tab for each entry in the online editor. This list also contains automatic suggestions based on the translation memory — if other similar entries are found, they will be displayed here along with the percent value for similarity.
- Use the file locking feature reasonably and do not lock a file for longer than is necessary. If you know you will not be able to finish your work in one go, you can submit a partially complete translation and come back to it when you have more time to spare.
- Each language team can use its own discussion board for all discussions regarding the translations, division of work, schedules etc. Use this feature to coordinate team work or consult fellow team members.
- Last but not least, remember that Transifex is based on team work. Treat fellow team members as you would like to be treated by them; it is not about competition, it is about cooperation with others and working together to achieve a common goal.